<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://oldfox004.in

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Old Fox 004: Your choices are half chance!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Your choices are half chance!


Today as my Sunday coffee regime was happening on one side while I was mulling away on the other side, the words 'Sunscreen' lit up in my mind. Somehow I could recollect the title 'Everybody needs sunscreen' but Google corrected me out and also led me to the source of this song - 'Everybody is free to wear sunscreen'.

It is actually an essay by Mary Schmich that was published as a column in the Chicago Tribune in 1997. Her essay was written as a commencement speech to graduating students, in case she ever got a chance to deliver one! Now this was news to me as I had connected with this particular song during my college days.

I can remember being swayed by it's distinct style of musical wisdom, even faintly recollect being inspired and awed by its depth. Adoloscence has its own charm of belief and uncertainty, so a naive me related to only some of the parts in it. Then years morphed into decades and once again I found myself at the alter of this timeless classic today. And I was swayed again...

This time some more lines hit me. But the one that had me shaken all over the most is this -

"What ever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either, your choices are half chance, so are everybody elses."

How true! This one came almost like a tight slap of loving advice. Since a month, I've been recuperating from a lower back sprain and this has opened up new opportunities to re-think my life. The stress I underwent in the past year either bawling away or jumping on cloud nine with every little step for the startup, had taken its toll.

Had I been dispassionately passionate with everything, the  stress wouldn't have built up. Had I enjoyed the journey without a care for the destination, even complex tasks would have been simplified. Had I believed that my choices are all half chances, I wouldn't have worried about the money not flowing in. I would have given a damn to our performance dashboard, goals, content plans, and all that jazz.

Anyways, better late than never! This year I have embarked on a new path where I will strive to find a balance - To be anchored with my destination yet free to stand and stare. To believe in the divine plan and let go of all my worries. To surrender to the Infinite and find answers intuitively.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At February 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

It's always more fun to let go but that's the toughest choice to do. In the Gita, that is what Krishna tells Arjuna to do at many levels - in terms of relationships he was attached to, results of the work that he doubted would bring good to the world and his own sense of duty failing him because he felt it was ethically wrong. So many beautiful passages in the Gita lead us to the same realm of thought that you have mentioned in your New Year resolution. To believe in the Divine Plan is the toughest thing to do but the best expression of trust you can offer to the Lord. All the best, keep writing and take care of that backache.

 
At February 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM , Blogger vinny said...

Well said! I'm gonna take this line really seriously - "to believe in the Divine Plan is the toughest thing to do but the best expression of trust you can offer to the Lord."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here...it is a really difficult resolution!

 
At February 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM , Blogger The Mukhtiars said...

Nice read

 
At February 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM , Blogger vinny said...

Thanks aliasgarmukhtiar!

 
At February 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Thanks for liking the words....your feedback inspired me. Made a short post of it. Waiting to read your next post on this blog:)

 
At April 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM , Blogger Prasant Naidu. said...

Hopefully I should be helping you while you walk on the new path :)

 
At April 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM , Blogger vinny said...

Prasant
You are a part of my journey now...:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home